Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dunlop Loses a Pair


And by the way, referring to the posts below, I notice that Blake has switched from Dunlop to Prince, at least in name. The ATP website says he's using an "experimental" model. This is interesting, because as far as I knew Blake was Dunlop's main guy for tennis. What went awry with that relationship? Meanwhile, Jonathon Power pretty much put Dunlop on top in North America for squash (he's been using various signature models for years). In fact, when I was last at Paragon Sports in New York, a salesman told me that Dunlop is far and away their best-selling squash brand. Now that Power is out of the limelight, I wonder who Dunlop will promote as their Next Big Thing. Nick Matthew, an up-and-coming youngster, plays Slazenger, which is part of the Dunlop family. Amr Shabana, the stylish Egyptian who won the Tourney of Champs this year, is a Dunlop man, but he doesn't have a real following in the US.

Kind of a double-whammy for Dunlop. PLUS, they lost golfer John Daily, to Maxfli/TaylorMade. I'd like the scoop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home